Our experienced staff at Alabama Vein & Restoration Medspa, led by Dr. Charles Hunt II, offers a wide range of nonsurgical options to bring new life to your face and body. Our skilled team employs laser treatments and other state-of-the-art techniques to help heal scars fast.
How Icon™ Aesthetic System laser technology works
Our specialists help reduce your acne and surgical scars with nonablative skin resurfacing via the advanced Icon™ Aesthetic System. Using quick pulses of broad-spectrum light energy, the laser heats your skin, generating collagen production beneath the surface. Laser treatment works on any type of skin to reduce scars as it promotes new skin growth.
Heal physical and emotional scars without surgery
Let’s face it — physical trauma often leads to emotional stress. Scars can cause an array of uncomfortable symptoms, such as:
- Anxiety in social settings
- Itching and tenderness
- Post-traumatic stress
- Loss of self-esteem
Our compassionate team can help you heal, inside and out. We use the Icon laser in the comfort of our office, so you can relax without worrying about any risks from surgery or anesthesia. Although you may require several treatments, each procedure usually takes less than an hour, with full recovery generally within a few days.
After laser resurfacing, you should notice a reduction in the look of your scar plus less itching and pain and greater movement in the skin in that area. We can also enhance your treatment later using additional techniques, such as injectable fillers, to help your skin appear even smoother.
ABCs of scars
Scarring occurs as your body attempts to heal following an injury. Your own collagen tries to mend the abrasion, forming scar tissue over the wound. We treat several types of scars from surgery, accidents, skin conditions, and diseases. These include:
- Acne scars, which can appear angular or wavelike
- Keloid scars that go beyond the actual injury site due to an over-stimulated healing
- Contracture scars on burned skin that can affect both nerves and muscles deep beneath the skin, hindering movement
- Hypertrophic scars that look red and raised within the bounds of the injury
Before and after your procedure
There’s a bit of preparation needed before you undergo laser scar treatments. We recommend you stop smoking at least two weeks prior to your treatment, avoid any products containing glycolic acid or retinoid for a month, cease aspirin and vitamin E, and skip sun tanning completely since we can’t use lasers on tanned skin.
Before the procedure, we review your medical history, discuss your goals, and prep your skin.
Afterwards, there may be minor swelling and itching. Your skin will peel over the next week, revealing a smoother, lighter area. To maintain your new look, we recommend you:
- Clean the treated area after 24 hours and continue four times each day
- Apply an ointment, such as petroleum jelly, to prevent scabbing
- Moisturize your skin generously in the coming months
- Stay out of the sun and protect your skin with sunscreen
- Gently massage the scarred area after a couple of weeks to help smooth out the underlying collagen
- Forgo applying any vitamin E, which can slow healing
Let us help your scars fade away
Our distinguished team at Alabama Vein & Restoration Medspa looks forward to helping you heal your scars through laser resurfacing and other state-of-the-art techniques. Just give us a call or book an appointment online at one of our convenient locations throughout Alabama in Hoover, Prattville, Tuscaloosa, Cullman, and Oxford.